Remembering Doreen Massey

I am very sad to hear about the passing of Doreen Massey. No other scholar influenced my thinking and my work as much as she did.

She inspired me to become a geographer, inspired me to ask questions about who wins and loses from global connectivity, inspired me to be a socialist, and simply inspired me to be a better scholar.

I only met her once: last year at the 7th Doreen Massey Annual Event on ‘Digital Geographies.’ I was lucky to be invited to give a plenary talk there, and I’ll never forget the kind words that she had for my contribution.

For those unfamiliar with her work, but interested in critical scholarship about economic geography and connectivity, I recommend you start with For Space: a book that brings together much of her thinking on the topics. Her work has made a huge difference to me, and I’m sure it will live on and inspire many more.

Mark Graham

Mark Graham is the Professor of Internet Geography at the OII, a Faculty Fellow at the Alan Turing Institute, a Research Fellow at Green Templeton College, and an Associate in the University of Oxford’s School of Geography and the Environment. He leads a range of research projects spanning topics between digital labour, the gig economy, internet geographies, and ICTs and development.